Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Dr. Krouse Guest Lecture

The guest post from Dr. Krouse was really great. The ideas and thoughts that she spoke of were really interesting to me and they really added to my understanding and views on feminism. When Dr. Krouse referred to feminism as "many-headed monster", really helped me better understand my own thoughts on the subject. I was thinking of feminism as a concept like that but I could not visualize it as well until i read this guest lecture.

Feminist theory is I think the theory that the most people come to with the most pre made assumptions. The stereotypical thoughts of feminists that she talks about everyone thinks of first. Not too many people would hear that term and say great things about it or how wonderful it is you consider yourself one. Most people would probably look at you clearly judging right away and a little turned off thinking you are just this crazy woman. With that I really enjoyed when Dr. Krouse went into the "masculinist discourses", and what women in general suppose to be like and what is accepted of them.

In my own life my first impression when I thought of feminism was the awful impression of that was quoted in the beginning of the guest post. That wasn't the my sole thoughts on feminism, I knew to look past that. After reading all that we had for class and this post I have changed my views and I think that I am a stronger feminist then before. I think that anyone can be a feminist, it doesn't matter if your a man or woman or what your background is. As long as you have good intentions behind it and share the same thoughts as the theory then it is possible. Feminism is really easy to combine with other theories and I think it works out really well that way.

No comments: